If you failed to think about a prenuptial agreement before you got married, it is not too late. You and your spouse can enter into what is known as a “postnuptial agreement”. A postnuptial agreement is just like a prenuptial agreement, but it is entered into after the marriage and requires consideration. A postnuptial agreement follows specific rules and can be complex. Therefore, it is very important to hire a family law attorney that has experience in drafting these agreements.
Just like a prenuptial agreement, a postnuptial agreement offers protection and security, as it will determine how certain legal and financial issues will be handled if your marriage ends or in the event you die while you are still married. A postnuptial agreement is always a good idea as it will save couples time and money should they decide to divorce at some point.
At Corri Fetman & Associates, Ltd., we are proponents of postnuptial agreements. We have many years of experience in drafting and negotiating postnuptial agreements that will withstand litigation and provide the protections you need.
Reasons For a Postnuptial Agreement
These are just some of the reasons you may want a postnuptial agreement:
- You forgot or did not have enough time to enter into a prenuptial agreement before the marriage.
- You started a business and want to protect your business interest in the event of divorce and/or death.
- You want to minimize the amount of alimony you will pay to your spouse.
- You have children from another relationship or marriage that you want to protect in the event of death.
- You want to protect your retirement assets so your spouse does not receive any portion upon divorce and/or death.
- You want to minimize the amount of litigation and attorneys’ fees you will pay in the event of divorce.
To find out more information about postnuptial agreements and the reasons you should consider a postnuptial agreement, contact our office at 312-341-0900 or email us on our website.